Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz


Justin:  Nicole's a big reader of books and I read comic books and graphic novels.  I thought this would be a fun new segment to discuss with each other and you fellow blog readers to get us to open up and challenge our literary tastes.  That way if she sees a graphic novel I like and posted about she might want to read that and vice versa. I told her once a long time ago that I wanted to read more books as a way to whet my appetite for writing my own stories.  In fact, one of the things we used to do when we were developing those feelings was we would read to each other.  We would each take a chapter or two and usually it would be a funny book or some kind of diary and read it to one another in bed.  IT was a great way to open up conversation and ultimately feel so comfortable with each other.  Also I dig the sound of her voice, especially when she would laugh.

I was never really a fan of Baum's tales of Oz until my favorite artist, Skottie Young was going to adapt it for Marvel Comics.  His take on the characters have been really inspiring and this adaption has made giant leaps forward into the realm of children's comics.

It is also the first graphic novel that Nicole ever read...and thus began her descent into geek-dom.  I thought this was a great way to introduce her to the graphic novel format because of its source material, easy to read panels and wonderful illustrations.

Here is the synopsis from Amazon:

The premiere American fantasy adventure gets the Merry Marvel treatment! Eisner Award-winning writer/artist Eric Shanower (Age of Bronze) teams up with fan-favorite artist Skottie Young (New X-Men) to bring L. Frank Baum's beloved classic to life! When Kansas farm girl Dorothy flies away to the magical Land of Oz, she fatally flattens a Wicked Witch, liberates a living Scarecrow and is hailed by the Munchkin people as a great sorceress...but all she really wants to know is: how does she get home? 

So that's my Read This pick for the month, week, day, what have you.  Hopefully Nic can share some of the books she recently read and we can get kind of our own little Oprah's Book Club going on here.  Happy Reading all!!


Nicole:  I love that Oz the first graphic novel I read, it was really good and made me want to explore other graphic novels and comics.

Justin mentioned that I am a reader of books and he's right.  In fact I am currently reading the whole Oz collection.  I'm about halfway through and I love it! There are so many short stories in the collection and it is really neat how they all intertwine with each other.  I am both excited and sad to finish the collection because I want to know know what happens but I don't want this amazing tale to end.

I look forward to the rest of the Oz graphic novels that are coming out as well :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment